2019 Auxin Stewardship Training Schedule
The schedule for the 2019 Auxin Herbicides-Best Management Practices training has been finalized.
This training will be provided by NC State University Weed Specialists and is organized in cooperation with the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This training will fulfill the requirement mandated by federal and 24(c) labels of dicamba containing products registered for over-the-top use on dicamba-tolerant cotton and soybean. The training will also meet 24(c) label requirements for 2,4-D choline containing products for over-the-top use on 2,4-D-tolerant cotton in North Carolina. The trainings offered in Raleigh from mid-March through early-May will provide a training opportunity for those unable to attend an earlier training in their area. Also, on April 10, 2019, at noon in Raleigh, growers/applicators will have the opportunity to receive the training in Spanish from Dr. Ramon Leon.
Below are some federal label change reminders from NC State University Weed Specialist Charlie Cahoon:
- Only certified applicators may apply dicamba over the top (those working under the supervision of a certified applicator may no longer make applications)
- Prohibit over-the-top application of dicamba on soybeans 45 days after planting
- Applications will be allowed only from 1 hour after sunrise to 2 hours before sunset
- In counties where endangered species may exist, the downwind buffer will remain at 110 feet and there will be a new 57-foot buffer around the other sides of the field (the 110-foot downwind buffer applies to all applications, not just in counties where endangered species may exist)
- Clarify the training period for 2019 and beyond, ensuring consistency across all products
- Enhanced tank clean-out instructions for the entire system
- Enhanced label to improve applicator awareness on the impact of low pH on the potential volatility of dicamba
- Label clean up and consistency to improve compliance and enforceability